[Noisebridge-discuss] magnets as coat closures

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 27 20:51:15 UTC 2009

FWIW: I've used magnets as necklace/bracelet closures (they weren't
strong enough, I lost one bracelet, and strongly don't recommend).

I've also used 'em as pocket closures in my kilt (for the secondary
deep pocket). That works quite well, as the point is for it to be held
just loose enough to easily part with an inserted hand. I've had no
issues whatsoever with washing them, but then, they're simple small
washer magnets under a single layer of cloth, and on the inside of a
pocket, so they're well protected from chipping.

There are specific magnet clasps made for purse closures and the like
that are probably what you want if you need a strong seal and have
sturdy backing fabric. They have a very distinctive staple-like back
plate that goes through the fabric. They're typically chrome plated
and quite strong; dunno chip/corrosion resistance, but I expect it's
about as good as any other plated material. I'd not worry about that
though, as they're only a couple bucks; not that hard to just replace
if needed.

Mostly your choice depends what your backing fabric, size, and
strength needs are.

Stone Mountain & Daughter @ Berkeley has a decent selection (one
drawer full). I've not seen better, but I'm not familiar with SF
fabric stores; no doubt someone else is.

HTH,
- Sai