[Noisebridge-discuss] High-grit sandpaper?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sun Jun 7 01:37:10 UTC 2009

Put another way: has anyone ground lenses out of epoxy?  It's a bad
idea on several levels, but the material is cheap and readily
available, and I'm guessing epoxy dust is a lot less harsh on the
lungs than glass dust.

Does anyone have a source for really high-grit sandpaper in the city?
I'm playing with figuring chunks of epoxy, but they come out cloudy
with the highest grit paper Ace sells (1500).  I think getting up to
3200 might be sufficient to clear the thing up, but I'm not sure.
Also, any leads on a place with a range of jeweler's rouges?

It may be that the easiest way to get transparency is to recoat with a
fresh layer of epoxy, but that seems fraught with misfiguring peril.

Once I figure out how to restore them to transparent, there's a really
trivial and fun way to hand-make toy lenses and optics on the cheap.
Depending on just how bad epoxy dust is for you, it would even be
suitable for craft hour at Hackindern, the noisebridge daycare.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com