[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Dan Moore (danielmo) danielmo at cisco.com
Mon Jun 1 22:44:56 UTC 2009

On the contrary, I don't think anyone (besides a parent around their own child) does.

Hi, I'm Dan, I've just been following the discussion and find it intriguing. (New in town and new to noisebridge)

Any space that feels like home, which I'm sure noisebridge does to many of you, allows you to be yourself including all that colorful language. What I think the parents in this thread mean is that specific images and languages should be commonly agreed to be forbidden in the presence of children. This may include just never hanging up that centerfold or simply talking like you would to your grandmother when you see a child. I'm not talking about giving up your soul, but trying to talk differently doesn't hurt.

This is all in the context of a single child, not a group.

May I suggest a rotatable (or LED for the hackersake) sign near the front door that alerts newcomers to the presence of a child they might not see at first glance?

I think from a parents point of view, not introducing your child to something you're involved in (like a hackerspace) both hinders the child and the space.

Just my two sense.

Dan Moore