[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:24:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Dan Moore (danielmo) <danielmo at cisco.com>wrote:

> What I think the parents in this thread mean is that specific images and
> languages should be commonly agreed to be forbidden in the presence of
> children. This may include just never hanging up that centerfold or simply
> talking like you would to your grandmother when you see a child. I'm not
> talking about giving up your soul, but trying to talk differently doesn't
> hurt.

Thank you for illustrating this so clearly, Dan.  This is quite precisely
what I was getting at.  I have absolutely no intention to change my behavior
in order to accommodate children, just as our robotic SWARM orbs are not
going to change the laws of physics to accommodate them.

If parents want to bring their children in... whatever.  Just know I'm not
going to water down what I'm saying to appeal to your grandmother.  Talking
differently DOES hurt my ability to clearly communicate.

If people don't understand that, they don't understand what Noisebridge is
about, at least for me.

Christie

---
"I want us all to think about new and creative ways to engage young people
in science and engineering, whether it's science festivals, robotics
competitions, fairs that encourage young people to create and build and
invent -- to be makers of things, not just consumers of things."

- President Obama in address to National Academy of Sciences April 27, 2009