[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

grey artkiver at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:02:26 UTC 2009

OK, I think I've made clear constantly how much I despise mailing lists.
 This was talked to death on irc as a more realtime discussion on Friday and
further in person @ the space on Friday.  Dredging this up again four days
later?  I would be tempted to just let this die the death it deserves; but
figure I should contribute my two cents since it's coming up -again-.
Remember, we explicitly attempt to not solve problems before they happen.
 If you get Ani's first person account of the visiting class, she's told me
that not only were the interested and well behaved, but they were more
respectful of her request that they not touch anything on the shelves moreso
than "adults" visiting from NYC and LA.  I've yet to hear anyone state that
the visiting kids caused any problems at all.

I am all about having fewer policies rather than adding to them; we've had
unannounced parties visiting before and just because one (well behaved)
group stopped by that contained kids apparently that set off flags for some
people who take issue (at least one of whom has openly stated that they did
not like kids).  Now, whether a particular member has a problem with a
particular type of guest; I respect their autonomy to decide for themselves
their own preferences; but getting worked up over these preferences when
there was no actual issue at hand is creating a mountain out of a molehill.

Naturally I'm biased, as Al alluded to; I'm a parent of two and they've both
been by the space before some of the complaining members had ever even heard
of the place.

So, unless you seriously want to propose a policy to prohibit kids; or large
groups coming by unannounced which I and other parents (and even non parents
who actually want to see young interested minds coming by the space) realize
you've got more than a few people who are ready to exercise that limited
power of blocking on consensus.  The people who want to put policies in
place are at a disadvantage in general; and I'm making this explicitly clear
in this case so hopefully we can all shut the fuck up and talk about useful
and interesting things that have nothing to do with policies.

Like, HOW AWESOME WAS MAKER FAIRE?

Or... what a great party and turnout we had last night with a ton of people
who had never been by the space before; it was perhaps the best evening I've
had at noisebridge since its inception.

Or.... hey the June 13th Electronics Flea Market is coming up on us fast -
let's organize a road trip for interested members!

http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com/

Look at that - three topics of conversation that have nothing to do with
talking about policies which a portion of our membership will make sure
WON'T happen so we should stop wasting more time and breath on it because
it's just beating a dead horse.

-grey