[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jun 1 23:10:40 UTC 2009

aestetix aestetix wrote:
> How about something stating that large groups should call ahead and let us
> know they are coming? Then we'll know who it is and be able to adjust the
> setting accordingly.

Uh, what? As it stands, we already have people surprised to see that
we're open to visitors at all; this makes me very sad. Why should we
make it less friendly for spontaneous guests? It's awesome when people
drop by! It's even better when they're totally new people with great
things to share, even if it's simply the eager desire to learn, it's
wonderful!

Many "hacker spaces" have tons of rules about problems that rarely
arise; certainly many of those problems rarely occur in our space. How
often will Maker Faire happen? How often will many _interested_ children
come by with an adult to supervise them?

We don't need a playbook to consult or a secretary at the front desk to
give out visitor badges. Or forms to sign. Or a nightmare of red tape
that isn't useful for _anything_ and will still likely result in a
lawsuit if someone wants to sue.

Lets let the people in the space think for themselves?

Personally, if I'm in the space and not busy hacking, I'm totally down
to give a tour to some visiting kids or otherwise. When I'm not in the
mood, I'll probably ignore the visitor (as everyone has or will do at
some point) or I might even bail on 83c (which already happens when
people start playing Front 242's Headhunter remix album).

Best,
Jake