[Noisebridge-discuss] unannounced groups of non-members at Noisebridge (esp. kids)

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Mon Jun 1 23:28:53 UTC 2009

On 6/1/09 4:24 PM, Christie Dudley wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Dan Moore (danielmo)
> <danielmo at cisco.com <mailto:danielmo at cisco.com>> wrote:
>
>     What I think the parents in this thread mean is that specific
>     images and languages should be commonly agreed to be forbidden in
>     the presence of children. This may include just never hanging up
>     that centerfold or simply talking like you would to your
>     grandmother when you see a child. I'm not talking about giving up
>     your soul, but trying to talk differently doesn't hurt.
>

> Thank you for illustrating this so clearly, Dan.  This is quite
> precisely what I was getting at.  I have absolutely no intention to
> change my behavior in order to accommodate children, just as our
> robotic SWARM orbs are not going to change the laws of physics to
> accommodate them.
>
> If parents want to bring their children in... whatever.  Just know I'm
> not going to water down what I'm saying to appeal to your
> grandmother.  Talking differently DOES hurt my ability to clearly
> communicate.

  I guess we know who the child haters are, eh?

  Thanks for your sensitivity (not) to children. While I don't expect
people to dramatically change behavior, I would think that people
wouldn't talk to my daughter about cocksucking either, for example. If
that's too much to ask, I guess it is good to know.

> If people don't understand that, they don't understand what
> Noisebridge is about, at least for me.

  And what is it about for you? Ego?

Al