[Noisebridge-discuss] Virtualization resources

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Tue Jun 2 22:25:20 UTC 2009

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> Perhaps we can actually get Tom to rack them (or perhaps even rent us a
> box) for us in his space? I already run the other boxes (with Andy) and
> while I'm happy to pay for them personally, it should probably start to
> shift to other people. I don't want to be the bottleneck on every server
> or service.

I'm part of a 20 person sysadmin co-op called BandWagon that's been
around for about 8 years. We essentially rent a cabinet and bandwidth
and share the costs by the rack unit and the bandwidth used.   We are
just about to move our cabinet from ColoServe to NaviSite, and are
looking for additional members to defray the costs.  We currently share
redundant firewalls with a 100 mbit connection that we have a 10 mbit/s
minimum on.

I colo a 1u there which costs me about $70/month.  I'm sure folks here
have MonkeyBrains connections, or their own colo spaces, but I at least
wanted to suggest a place to colo a box or two if NB was interested in
hosting that was a) local, b) community owned and c) non-profit.

Hit me up for more info if you'd like it.  Generally we ask that members
contribute labor as well as money, but  possibly more money could be
exchanged in place of labor, or a NB member or two could help contribute
labor to help the co-op.