[Noisebridge-discuss] adult themed posters in a do-acracy

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Jun 3 02:40:09 UTC 2009

Ceren Ercen wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>>
>> We have a process (that you seem unfamiliar with; correct me if I'm
>> mistaken) for asking a trusted proxy to speak up for you. Does that not
>> work for you? In any case, I'm obviously in favor of anonymity but it
>> would be useful to reduce or increase your anonymity set by telling us
>> why and how we should care.
>>
>> Lots of people shout that we as a group should do things. When that's
>> their only known input, regardless of their suggestion, it often falls
>> between the cracks.
>

> I'll step up and say I think this implementation of anonymity is a
> non-starter.
>
> This idea of a "trusted proxy" just muddies a communication by
> subjecting it to a game of telephone AND lag in response. "uh, I'll ask
> them about that" leads to dragging a topic out and burying it in
> slow-moving mud, shaming the person who's bringing it up AND their
> proxy-speaker through having to manually haul it back to the surface
> each iteration/meeting.

I totally disagree with you here. It gives someone an opportunity to
express concern or issues with the group without revealing themselves to
an entire group. If you can't get a single person to stand up for you,
you're possibly going to need to trade some anonymity away because your
needs in a dire situation.

How can people raise concerns in a privacy conscious manner in front of
the group without the use of a proxy?

Please offer an alternative?

> Anonymous comments that're still weighted by whether the "anonymous"
> party's opinion should matter because of.... how cool they are? ... how
> influential or respected of a proxy they can arm-twist into whinging for
> them?

What? Yeah, if Andy, Rachel, David, Dan, etc is a proxy for someone,
that really speaks highly of their need. As an example, I trust Rachel
and the transitive trust property of that relationship is what can keep
the proxy system from being abused.

> Suggestions about ideas without a personality behind them only fall into
> cracks when our only-human focus on outgoing personalities drowns them
> out. my btardedness may be showing here, but karma/postcount/signup date
> seems to outweigh idea merit too often.

Contributions matter perhaps most of all. That's why I think it's
important to discuss single bit values, such as membership; if they're a
member, that's really important to a space that values it's membership
over the general whims of the largely uninvolved public. If they're a
member, they're welcome to use the proxy system to help preserve their
privacy _and_ ensure that their voice is heard in a largely neutral manner.

Best,
Jake