[Noisebridge-discuss] adult themed posters in a do-acracy

Ceren Ercen ceren at magnesium.net
Wed Jun 3 02:27:53 UTC 2009

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> We have a process (that you seem unfamiliar with; correct me if I'm
> mistaken) for asking a trusted proxy to speak up for you. Does that not
> work for you? In any case, I'm obviously in favor of anonymity but it
> would be useful to reduce or increase your anonymity set by telling us
> why and how we should care.
>
> Lots of people shout that we as a group should do things. When that's
> their only known input, regardless of their suggestion, it often falls
> between the cracks.

I'll step up and say I think this implementation of anonymity is a
non-starter.

This idea of a "trusted proxy" just muddies a communication by
subjecting it to a game of telephone AND lag in response. "uh, I'll ask
them about that" leads to dragging a topic out and burying it in
slow-moving mud, shaming the person who's bringing it up AND their
proxy-speaker through having to manually haul it back to the surface
each iteration/meeting.

Anonymous comments that're still weighted by whether the "anonymous"
party's opinion should matter because of.... how cool they are? ... how
influential or respected of a proxy they can arm-twist into whinging for
them?

Suggestions about ideas without a personality behind them only fall into
cracks when our only-human focus on outgoing personalities drowns them
out. my btardedness may be showing here, but karma/postcount/signup date
seems to outweigh idea merit too often.