[Noisebridge-discuss] New pony

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Jun 4 17:10:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:19:50AM -0700, Dr. Jesus wrote:
> Due to a communications foulup, the new pony server needs to be
> reclaimed for another project.  This means that we need an even newer
> pony to replace it.  If you have one and would like to install it at
> noisebridge, we'll hook it up to the interwebs on our shiny new /24
> and I'll tack one of these on the front:
>
>   http://endlesstreasurecloset.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1125795
>
> Requirements:
>
>  - Supports virtualization extensions
>  - Plenty of RAM
>  - Decent processor(s)
>  - Not a leafblower, since it will be upstairs next to the soldering bench
>
> Would be nice:
>
>  - Rackmounted
>  - LOM/ILO card or BMC
>  - SAFTE or SATA backplane

Alternatively, there seem to be plenty of loud fast servers
available.  If there was some way we could cool them quietly (dunking
them in transformer coolant seems to be an option), one of those could
easily be the new pony.

The problem is that I have no idea if that will work (or if I'm still
in my right mind for entertaining this idea in the first place), and
could use some expert advice from a motly group of hackers.  Such as
yourselves.