[Noisebridge-discuss] High-grit sandpaper?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sun Jun 7 19:35:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:19:53PM -0700, Noah Balmer wrote:
> TAP plastics probably sells graded plastic polishes that would to the job.
> Their NYC equivalents did, anyway.  I used to use plastic polish to clean up
> the lexan balls I used for contact juggling, and it was capable of getting
> the surfaces to a beautiful glassy smoothness.  I'd also suggest talking to
> TAP about making plastic lenses.  They may have some other ideas besides
> grinding epoxy.

Yeah, epoxy might be the wrong material in general.  In this case,
it's just that I had the leftovers from a fiberglassing as a puck
lying around.

I'll go bug the kind folks at TAP to see what they say; I've been
wanting to go back to see when the mailings their Maker Faire booth
promised are going out.

> Epoxy dust is not the safest stuff.  Because mixing ratios are never
> perfect, it contains uncured resin or hardener.  Exposure often results in
> developing an allergy-like sensitivity.  A dust/mist respirator is
> preferable to cheap paper masks.

Ah, that makes sense.  I had my shirt pulled up over my face (and,
honestly, grinding on the table keeps the dust from getting airborne).
Going forward, it might be better to use a different material,
especially if I wind up doing this in the space instead of my kitchen.

Thanks for the info, and I'll keep the list posted on progress.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com