[Noisebridge-discuss] Exchanging GB Pounds to US Dollars while minimizing conversion loss?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:25:59 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 00:04:10 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Exchanging GB Pounds to US Dollars while minimizing conversion loss?
> From: kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
> CC: rachel at xtreme.com; noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Mitch Altman<maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if it's too late to chime in for this, but I have an
> > account with First Republic Bank -- they have accounts that gives free use
> > of any ATM in the world (refunding you any amount deducted from your
> > transaction).  The rate they give is the one in the Wall Street Journal
> > for that day, with no fees at all.  There may be other banks with similar
> > offerings.  When I travel, I get all my money from ATMs.
>
> Thanks so much for the info Mitch. Yes, I just returned from Italy
> and used ATMs to withdraw cash and a decent rate. The question was
> more along the lines of finding a cheap way to money transfer large
> amounts with minimal fees. I'm not sure of many ATMs that would allow
> me to withdraw $15,000 in one day though ;-P I will look into First
> Republic Bank for my travel banking in the future. It looks like they
> are now owned by Bank of America...

Yeah, it really sucks that corporations get bought by bigger and horribler corporations.  I went to First Republic when my little local bank got bought by CalFed, which expanded to bigger CalFed, which got bought by Citibank.  I liked First Republic 'cause there were only branches in SF and NYC, and you sit in a comfy chair rather than stand in a line, and they feed you warm cookies while you talk with the friendly person at the desk with you.  They then got bought by Merryl Lynch, which got bought by BofA.  So far, though, everything is still the same, including the cookies.

I haven't found any good way to transfer large amounts of money while exchanging currency without being gauged.  If you find a way, please let me know.  Most places that I deal with internationally take payment in US$, but it would be nice to deal in local currency if it were affordable.

Anyway, I hope you had a good trip.

Mitch.