[Noisebridge-discuss] What is the true hacker ethic?

jim jim at well.com
Sun Jun 14 16:23:18 UTC 2009

   for me,
* a "hacker" applies an unconstrained and artful
approach to problem solving;
* a "cracker" is a hacker who breaks into systems;
* an "employee" in a technical field may be a
hacker at heart and to some degree in action, but
is constrained in what to accomplish and how;
* a "slave" is more constrained than an employee.

   the "contributor ethic" description below is
highly appealing, though idealistic and in that
way should be eternally suspect.

   as to promotion, discard discussion of bad
guys and be active in being and supporting the
"contributor ethic". tie in with the various
"open" efforts such as open source, linux and
freeBSD, the OLPC XO effort.
   education of children, especially female
children, in "third world" countries seems our
only hope for the planet. that effort depends
on open communications. reach out to support
such efforts. build hacker spaces and their
interconnections. teach calculus and geometry
and essential deconstruction skills to
five-year olds. write software that does so.