[Noisebridge-discuss] What is the true hacker ethic?

Geoff Schmidt geoff at geoffschmidt.com
Mon Jun 15 00:30:48 UTC 2009

I don't think that outsiders are necessarily, or even typically,
angry. And I don't think hubris is long tolerated in a community of
true contributors.

I think the difference between outsiders and contributors is scale of
identification. Outsiders identify with the group of people around
them socially, contributors with something larger but abstract.
Outsiders see themselves as contributors, at least to their group; the
people outside their group are seen as aliens and outside the scope of
analysis.

In turn, people's scale of identification is determined powerfully by
the level of security they have felt in their life.

> How do we work with each person to help them evolve?

First, by framing the case as one of evolution! KATZ!

Without gravity, which direction will a tree grow? And other than
gravity, what does it need but sunlight and water? (For purposes of
poetry, let us neglect nitrogen-fixing bacteria.)

On dates various, Jason Dusek wrote:
>  Hackers must also have a characteristic fault; what will it
>  be? It seems the outsider is characterized by anger; the
>  contributor, hubris.

[...]