[Noisebridge-discuss] Interested in Reverse Engineering or Vulnerability Research?

unmarshal at gmail.com unmarshal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 04:45:31 UTC 2009

Personally, I think using metasploit might be overkill for what I'm
aiming for.  I'm much more interested in illustrating general
principles.  I have written exploits using metasploit and it's
definitely more steps than I'd prefer in the context of teaching.  I
think I will see who rises to the top of the class and leave this as
an exercise for the users.  I think doing simple C exploits will allow
us to focus on the principles instead of all the bells and whistles
metasploit provides.  Good suggestion though.  I think eventually we
can move in this direction.

I'm trying to remember this older hacking challenge... they had a
level based system.  If only I could remember the name.

Point though is that I want to roll my own, with my own servers so I
can control for all the variables and everyone can be on the same
environment.  For a class like this, I choose to use my own materials
rather than recycle other people's work.  Besides, one thing I'm also
trying to get out of this is a portfolio of teaching materials that I
came up with.  We will go through real world case studies as well.

-M