[Noisebridge-discuss] mercury on the table?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 02:31:29 UTC 2009

This makes me curious.  What would be the source of the mercury from a Neon
sign?  I always thought they were pretty safe.  (Well, other than from
broken glass and stuff like that.)  It's my understanding that when they
fill them with argon, they use trace amounts of mercury, that would be in
the tubes, which would only escape if you broke one, right?

Care to share this discovery with the rest of us?  Circuit hackers simply
love neon sign transformers, so I think it'd be good to have this
information disseminated.

Christie

---
Knowledge will bind you but ultimately set you free.