[Noisebridge-discuss] oh sysadmins of noisebridge, i have a question for ye

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sat Jun 27 16:48:02 UTC 2009

Ian wrote:
> wrt to bridges, the tor website says "Since there is no complete
> public list of them, even if your ISP is filtering connections to all
> the known Tor relays, they probably won't be able to block all the
> bridges." while it may be true that they wont be able to block all of
> them, the way i see it is that an end user need to find the bridge IPs
> from somewhere. cant whoever doing the blocking also use the same
> means to discover such IPs? this is of course not a problem with tor
> but exist in all such distribution of proxy servers. even in p2p
> networks, you have some sort of bootstrapping that needs to happen,
> which can be hindered by traffic filtering.

Sure. That's part of the design considerations for bridging. If you
request bridges, you're only going to get a subset of the total amount
of bridges available. We have various automated strategies for this and
it seems to be working pretty well. It's different than other p2p
systems because the bridging part is designed to be a fragmented darknet.

Best,
Jake