[Noisebridge-discuss] mercury on the table?

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Sun Jun 28 03:08:27 UTC 2009

> That said, "we don't know where it came from but we know it's all cleaned up" sounds like self-deception.  It's totally reasonable to withdraw from a discussion because you're done with it.  It's less reasonable to demand that everyone else stop talking about it too, especially when there is a reasonable chance that they are right.

I was there and participated in its cleanup.  I feel absolutely
confident that we successfully cleaned the area as per guidelines
readily found online.  As such, I don't regard it as any type of
deception -- there's more mercury at the fish stands at fisherman's
warf than on the table at noisebridge.
And I feel perfectly complacent in saying that the topic of it
happening should die -- if people want to continue to talk about
preparedness, such as getting MSDS as I explicitly referenced, I
consider that a good idea (and it in fact happened).

> As such, I think characterizing this as a 'freak accident' is
> unhelpful, because it implies that there's no way (or responsibility)
> to have been prepared for it.

It was a freak accident.  I have no idea who brought it in, but I
don't believe for a second that anyone intended to contaminate
noisebridge.  Inevitably, with a hackerspace as we have, we run the
risk of exposure to hazardous materials like this.  Such incidents are
freak accidents, and the moment the mercury was detected, everyone at
the space reacted calmly and logically to research how to properly
clean the area.  We did not have all the materials needed, and
Jonathan Moore quickly went to Walgreens to get them as others cleaned
while wearing latex gloves.

If we were working with mercury, or any hazardous material, I'd agree
that that would not be a freak accident.

> Frankly, I do care, and suspect plenty of other regular members do as
> well. The fact that not a single word has been said by the Noisebridge
> board about how what happened was completely unacceptable disturbs me,
> to the point of not having any intention of ever visiting Noisebridge
> at its current location again. The spineless individual who can't be
> bothered to own up to their mistake (and clearly that's what it was)
> is acting un-excellently towards the entirety of Noisebridge, and does
> not deserve the respect of their peers. Owning up to ones' own
> failures may not be easy to do, but it is a mark of personal excellence.

> If the source of the Mercury has not been detected, the problem has
> not been resolved. For those who think it came from a neon sign,
> please do some reading on the subject of neon signs before coming to
> silly, illogical conclusions such as this.

I think you misunderstand the responsibility the board has.  They
handle clerical work generally, and are not more entitled than any
member to take any actions on this -- nor are they expected to more
than any other member.
Whomever did it should come forward, but I regrettably see that as
unlikely.  I'd like to think that the responsible party is completely
unaware that they indeed were the cause, but that may be wishful
thinking.

Either way, we lack evidence of any kind to investigate it further
than it already has been.  Accusations without due proof, and witch
hunts in general are not excellent.  If you feel that there were
stones left unturned, by all means, proceed.  If you feel that
noisebridge is not a safe place for you to be, then that is
unfortunate.  We all make our own decisions, and as I've personally
stated, I feel comfortable in saying it has been properly cleaned.
However, in lieu of further evidence of responsibility or
contamination, you will find the fight fruitless.

If someone reading this is responsible, I would encourage them to come
forward.  You will get some talking to, but you won't be expelled from
the space and hated by all.

> Correct. It was clearly mishandled

Please advise on how you feel this event was mishandled.  I'll repeat
that it was cleaned promptly following guidelines that are readily
available online.  All those who entered the space that night were
immediately informed of the situation, and as you've participated in
this thread, I assume you see that it was reported widely shortly
after we became aware of it all.  It also was discussed on irc.

Notification and proper cleanup does not seem at all like a mishandled
situation to me.

Lastly, perhaps this incident should bring back talks that died back
in early April.  No safety meetings were ever restarted, and no
further actions taken to that end.
Would anyone like to take charge in holding a safety committee to put
together suggestions on materials that should be purchased, and
guidelines for people to follow before bringing anything hazardous
into the space?
I'm sure we would all very much welcome that.

Jeffrey