[Noisebridge-discuss] mercury on the table?

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 04:52:18 UTC 2009

> > As such, I don't regard it as any type of
> > deception -- there's more mercury at the fish stands at fisherman's
> > warf than on the table at noisebridge.
>
> I don't think anyone claimed deception.

I did say that the "we don't know where it came from but we know we got it
all" idea sounds like *self*-deception.

If you don't know what the source is, you don't know whether the source is
still in the space and still contaminated.

I believe that everyone involved in cleanup did the best that they could
under the circumstances, I don't mean that anyone is being deceitful.
Unfortunately, toxins don't care if you believe they are present or not.
Since the source is unknown, and may be a leaky box, with puddle of mercury
on the bottom, that was placed on the table, then moved, or any number of
other equally bad-news scenarios, confident assertions of complete cleanup
sound overly optimistic.

I don't come around the space much anymore, so my only interest in this is
that I don't want my friends to get sick.  I think the rational thing would
be for ye voting members to vote to pay for the necessary professional
assessment, of the pros with a vapor detector variety.  Barring agreement on
that, I, for one, would chip in toward this. It may not affect me directly,
but I care about your brains and don't want them to be damaged

If any of the cleanup materials *did* land in the trash as some have
suggested, please belay those trash bags.  Mercury leaching from landfills
is a notable groundwater concern, and the kind people who take away the
refuse deserve better than to be exposed without their knowledge.