[Noisebridge-discuss] Agenda item for Tuesday: are we up to code?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Jun 29 00:47:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 04:41:17PM -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:

> Re. contacting SFFD as a group - I hope aestetix doesn't mean that in
> the event of an emergency we should wait until the next Tuesday
> meeting to call, only that we should do so for things that aren't
> time-sensitive?

Err, isn't that a fucking insane idea? Is it even necessary to worry
that anyone, much less _everyone_, at the space would be so daft?  It
only takes one person to call 911, after all.

One very important thing about noisebridge: your average noisebridger
is not an idiot.  You can trust them.  We don't have rules because
everyone here is capable of being safe enough without them (most of
the time).  Sometimes we need peer pressure or gentle nagging, which
is often, "Err, dude, isn't there a better way to do that?  I don't
want to help you get your finger out from under the shelves unless I
really have to."  People have also been good about owning up to
mistakes they know about, and about contacting the right-enough people
to help with cleanup or repairs.

If you really feel the space needs rules, ask yourself why.  The
primary motivation for rules is distrust.  You build rules when can't
trust your peers to be responsible without them.  If that's the case,
you ought to reevaluate sharing workspace with those people, since
they're a threat to your safety.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com