[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge (GSM) cell phone equipment

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Mar 6 03:00:39 UTC 2009

Hi!

So I've been quite sad to see that we lack basically any interesting
phone equipment at Noisebridge. So in an effort to improve our cell
phone equipment, I've acquired some stuff.

Most interestingly is a cell phone base station. Technically, it's a GSM
Base Transceiver Station: http://bs11-abis.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/BS11

I also have a few extra GSM phones and some extra SIM cards (a few
functional, a few non-functional). I'll bring these in soon and we can
use them for whatever it is that we need to use them for...

My hope for the BS-11 is to use it with OpenBSC:
http://bs11-abis.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/OpenBSC

To do this, we'll need the proper E-1 card and a computer to run OpenBSC:
http://bs11-abis.gnumonks.org/trac/wiki/E1

I'm working on acquiring an E-1 card. I totally failed to do this when I
acquired the BS-11.

Additionally, I'm working on acquiring the proper daughter board for my
USRP. If all goes well, we'll be able to run OpenBTS with such a setup:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/OpenBTS

That should give us two totally different GSM networks in our space, it
should be useful for anyone interested in GSM hardware, security,
implementation, etc.

It also looks like David Burgess is interested in giving a talk about
OpenBTS next week at 83c.

Is anyone other than me interested in this stuff?

Best,
Jake