[Noisebridge-discuss] help finding cheap digital compass chip?

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Thu Mar 5 23:10:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Adam Skory <askory at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a project I'm thinking of I want a cheap digital compass chip or two.
>
> One can find digital compasses for less than $20 online, but I'm not
> confident that I'd be able to salvage the chip from one of those. The
> cheapest stand-alone chip I've found is $30. Anyone have any idea
> where to look for something cheaper, or is just economy of scale that
> makes a full digital compass cheaper than just the chip?

What kind of interface do you want on it? The HMC6352 talks i2c and
can be had for ~$25 in unit quantities, but looks a right bear to
solder (IMHO; I defer to Mitch for a real opinion ;). I happen to have
one on a breakout board (the sparkfun version) that you're welcome to
play with while my haptic compass project is waiting for time.

m.