[Noisebridge-discuss] Paypal: really a good idea?

Kragen Javier Sitaker kragen at canonical.org
Sat Mar 7 21:21:47 UTC 2009

Hi.

I noticed that Noisebridge is accepting dues via Paypal.

I don't have any skin in this game, except that I'd be sad if more of my
friends got burned by dealing with Paypal.  One friend sold his laptop
to someone who paid for it via Paypal, picked it up in person, and then
retracted the money claiming they never received the goods.
Paypal naturally sided with the thief.

The bigger issue I learned about a while back was what Paypal did with
the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Something_Awful#Hurricane_Katrina_charity>

Additionally, if you've ever tried to contact Paypal about any customer
service issue, I'm sure you have experienced the immense difficulty with
contacting any humans there.

I'm not currently a member, although I did attend a meeting once, and so
I don't really have a say in the issue myself.  I just thought I would
share my experience in case it turned out to be helpful.  What do other
people think?

Kragen