[Noisebridge-discuss] surface mounting a really tiny chip, anyone able to help?

Adam Skory askory at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 00:44:43 UTC 2009

Howdy everybody.

Over here at the cyborg group, we've discovered a need for a third axis.

And no, not of evil, a third axis of magnetometry! For some haptic
(vibro-tactile) compass projects we've found that the 2-axis compass
chips just aren't robust enough. So, the following chip looks great
and economical, problem is it's super super tiny and none of us quite
know how to surface mount the thing. Honeywell makes a "development
board" for it, but that costs over $100!

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1599656-sensor-magnetic-3-axis-20-lcc-hmc5843.html

We think there's a way to hand etch a board, toss on some solder, and
put it in the toaster. Anyone know about these things?

Thanks for any help!

-Skory