[Noisebridge-discuss] So disappointing...

Paul Böhm paul at boehm.org
Thu Mar 5 08:06:43 UTC 2009

things that have helped drink payment morale at metalab:

1) making prices MORE visible (having the list on the refrigerator
where you have to kneel to read them is not good enough),
2) having payment make a noise (so if someone gets a drink, you know
you should have heard a noise before they come back to the
table/couch, or you can politely remind them)
3) putting up a picture of an eye saying smtn along the lines of
"Protip: stealing from friends is not cool.' (see
http://fridge.metalab.at/)
4) putting up a container and getting a few people to be responsible
for emptying the cash into that container when too much accumulates.
only the treasurer should be able to empty that central container.
reason: though less likely (if people are cool - and we are
excellent), cash theft is worse than people not paying for drinks.
5) putting LEDs on the fridge that can be programmed via the web
(well, that didn't really help, but it was fun - again see
http://fridge.metalab.at/)

that said, having the money around isn't a longterm solution we've
noticed. current metalab consensus is to go with prepaid barcode cards
or something along these lines and play a oneup supermario sound
whenever someone pays. the implementation is like 95% done - i don't
know why this never got finished. if someone wants to play with it, i
can summon the code (very pretty web interface with supermario gfx and
stuff - just needs a database backend).

enki