[Noisebridge-discuss] Google Grants

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:12:45 UTC 2009

Advertising, in it's original form, was meant to connect people to the
things they want or need.  It's been badly perverted by the marketing
industry to serve as a means for creating want or need.

Philosophical and etymological issues aside, I think it would be a good
thing to allow us to become more known to people who might be interested in
what we do, especially if this increased presence doesn't cost us anything.

Christie

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Quinn Norton <quinn at quinnnorton.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Andy Isaacson wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:05:47AM -0800, Shannon Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I'd say "why not"
>>>

>> Well, it's advertising.  I wish there were less advertising in the
>> world.
>>

> Eh, I think there could be a good reason to do it. Advertising, especially
> of this nature, can also be about findability, information. If we find that
> we have something and lack an adequate channel to get the information out
> there, this might be something to consider.
>
>  - free is free.
>>>

> That said, we don't really have anything that needs advertising at the
> moment. Certainly not things for which we are already a high up hit on
> google- a waste of time is a waste of time.
>
> OTOH, if, you know, we find we need human subjects for some projects, this
> might be a good way of finding them... ;)

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err.
~ Mohandas K. (Mahatma) Gandhi

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
they do not want to hear.
~ George Orwell

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche