[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge (GSM) cell phone equipment

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:46:06 UTC 2009

> However, it's also contingent upon any subsidy locks present on the
> phone or your SIM. On the Dev Phone, it is possible to open a function from
> within
> Android settings menu and select a specific mobile carrier.

On the standard android build, you can select your carrier as well.

> Even in the presence of these locks, it may be possible to "drown out"
> your regular carrier's signal (a-la Limor's WaveBubble or similar) and
> get your phone to "roam" onto a Noisebridge BTS and trick it into
> thinking that it has registered itself.

Sounds like a neat hack.  I'd be pretty irritated, though, if I couldn't
make outbound calls from Noisebridge because of it, though because we were
shutting down the outside signal.

Christie

--
Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err.
~ Mohandas K. (Mahatma) Gandhi

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
they do not want to hear.
~ George Orwell

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche