[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge (GSM) cell phone equipment

Daniel Packer dp at danielpacker.org
Wed Mar 11 21:08:54 UTC 2009

I posted some info on the wiki at
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NB_Cell_Network

>From what I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, we need:

* A first linux box running the openBCS software
-- this box needs an E1 card and a free PCI slot for it

* A second linux box running openBTS/asterisk
-- this box needs one or two RFX900 (900mhz) tranceiver daughterboards
for the USRP card and needs a free pci slot

Since we need outgoing voip for a variety of apps I wonder if we can
isolate the asterisk service once things are stable so it can be
shared by the pay phone, etc. But, that is speculation at this point.

There are three barebones computers laying around the kitchen area.
- The black case has an ASUS kv8-max3 motherboard and an AMD-64 cpu, a
PSU and cdrom, network, no ram (supports up to 400mhz ddr), no HD
- the beige case has an old-ass motherboard that looks damaged, a 2gig
HD, and aside from having a cool slidey MB tray mechanism appears
useless
- the smaller media case has a newer mini-itx motherbard with a cpu,
ram, integrated VGA and ethernet, and some kind of funky power supply
(maybe a picoPSU) and looks like the best candidate to be up and
running quickly
- there is a small black 3.5" bay PSU that might be usable in the
media PC case mentioned above

There is an ubuntu 8.10 i386 install disk in the library area in a
pile of CDs. As for displays, the apple display has ADC, so a
converter will be needed. The projectors probably have VGA, but we may
be out of luck on DVI unless someone has an adapter, or wants to try
to bring up a serial console of of a linux install disc.

I may have an extra atom based mini-itx box to donate, if I can find
all the bits and pieces.

If anyone has any corrections/addendums to this please edit the wiki
at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NB_Cell_Network

-Daniel (obscurite)

we need an OpenBTS box with a 32