[Noisebridge-discuss] Public access laptops

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 23:03:36 UTC 2009

Yeah, gmail is surprisingly (or unsurprisingly, depending on your
perspective) robust.  I've accessed mine from a lynx browser.

We're technical people.  It's in our nature to try to address problems with
a technical solution.

Christie

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com>wrote:

> We actually checked this with elinks and it did work. Elinks supports css,
> tables, frames, and ajax functionality.
>
> How is making a public laptop available to people a bad thing? Why is it
> bad if they get to learn how to navigate bash? If they have trouble using
> it, I'm sure someone at NB would be willing to help them learn. I mean,
> realistically, if the learning curve for a non GUI system is too high,
> perhaps we should just install tinyXP.
>

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Chris Palmer <chris at noncombatant.org>wrote:
>
>> Christie Dudley writes:
>>
>> > The point being we deliberately deliver less than they want, so people
>> > don't start getting lazy and leaving their laptops at home deliberately.
>> > I think.
>>
>> So what if a total non-freeloader who pays her NB dues and is super
>> helpful
>> and friendly needs to check her Gmail account? Is elinks going to work? Is
>> this excellent person going to understand elinks? If she learns elinks,
>> will
>> that somehow repay NB for the effort of providing the computer?
>>
>> I mean, I don't even care either way. But you're not going to solve a
>> social
>> problem by technical means, and when you make a system uselessly obtuse,
>> you
>> fail to help people.
>>

>> Back to doing useful work,
>> --
>> http://www.noncombatant.org/
>> http://hemiolesque.blogspot.com/

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err.
~ Mohandas K. (Mahatma) Gandhi

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
they do not want to hear.
~ George Orwell

Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche