[Noisebridge-discuss] Lasers for Noisebridge

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 12 00:35:18 UTC 2009

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Rick Wesson wrote:
>> <wet blanket>
>
> Awww, You're not a wet blanket. But you should come to see the space
> more often! You'd understand that while totally valid, you shouldn't be
> fearful of the lasers. Love the lasers. :-)
>
>> NB: management/board
>>
>>   Whats your liability insurance cover in the case someone points a IR lazer at
>>   a reflective material and blindes one or more ppl?
>>

> I do not know the status of coverage for lasers blinding people in a
> freak accident. Perhaps David knows off hand from his discussions with
> the insurance agent? David?

We carry a general liability policy that includes coverage for "slip and
fall" type accidents. There are exceptions to the policy for accidents
involving nuclear material or infectious biological material, but no
specific exceptions for lasers. Therefore, I believe this would be
included. I haven't raised this specific issue with our insurance agent,
Pauline Nagata, however, though I can do so and let everyone know what
she says.

In case you're interested, the policies themselves are upstairs on the
bookshelf. Everyone is welcome to read them to find out what our
policies cover and do not cover. Should our members want to do something
that is not covered, we can of course talk to our current insurance
agent (or other agents) about securing additional coverage.

We also carry "directors and officers insurance." I don't believe that
would apply to the laser blinding scenario. We have it in case someone
sues the board or officers for something like mishandling a donation or
acting in a way contrary to Noisebridge's interests. Our friends at the
ACCRC apparently had something like that happen, and it turns out the
D&O insurance is not that expensive, so it seemed prudent. The insurance
also covers lawsuits by employees for unfair employment practices, which
doesn't apply yet as we have no employees nor plans to add any.

-David Molnar