[Noisebridge-discuss] Free point of sale project contributions and requests for participants

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Mar 20 00:48:03 UTC 2009

Encapsulated within <f08ddf990903191522k9dfa42fya1a6ac7ef6d70c89 at mail.gmail.com> on Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:22:02PM -0700, William Heath <wgheath at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: William Heath <wgheath at gmail.com>
> To: NoiseBridge Discuss <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>
> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Free point of sale project contributions and
> 	requests for participants
>
> Hi All,
> I contributed a bar code scanner and receipt printer the last time I was at
> noisebridge.  I also contributed a biology book.  I am curious if anyone
> would be interested in teaming up with me to find the best opensource point
> of sale solution with hardware etc...  There are a few I know of with high
> potential:
>
> openbravo pos (They incorporated tiny pos into there offering)
> adempiere (Incredible opensoure ERP/MRP system)
>
> I still lack a cash drawer.  Anyone have one?  Point of sale has always been
> a passion of mine and many, many, many people need this help.  We must
> combat the onslaught of quickbooks!

I'm generally interested in this. My local corner-store owner and I got
to talking about what a racket the commercial POS solutions are. So, we
started playing around with some POS hardware he had around the store
occasionally, and we're interested in setting up some sort of home-brew
solution in his store for fun.

At least we found out that the tower/pedestal VFD signs are plain
serial: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejof/3158583417/

Cheers,
jonathan