[Noisebridge-discuss] Another DIYbio thread!

jim jim at well.com
Mon Mar 30 19:19:56 UTC 2009

   my take: the safety committee should take
responsibility for standards we all can apply
to using the space. it doesn't approve, the
group approves; rather, it evaluates and gives
its assessment of whatever comes up (lots of
salt, electrical wires dangling, greasy
surfaces...) on its radar.

   example:
[safety committee] "your inflatable flying
hammock has a hazardous feature of being easy
to tip over."
[group meeting] "we don't care, we like it
and we approve."
   the example leaves unaddressed any remedy
or accountability that follows some member
of the press, given a demonstration, who
falls from a ceiling height and is taken to
a hospital.