[Noisebridge-discuss] Another DIYbio thread!

Tito Jankowski titojankowski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 02:15:25 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm also thankful -- Noisebridge has been most excellent to the DIYbio
group. I've attended all of the DIYbio meetings held at NB and I feel
that the direction of DIYbio is influenced from our time there.

Sure, if we got serious we could sequester ourselves in some
commercial space elsewhere in the Bay. But that lack of cross
pollination *exactly* what's wrong with biotech -- and that's what
DIYbio is fighting against. The evolution and exchange that happens at
Noisebridge is very much in the spirit of DIYbio -- and I'm wondering
how to preserve this. How can we democratize biotech in a safe,
productive way?

1. One way to do this is by being physically close to other hackers.
Josh makes a good point -- what, loosely, would be involved in
securing space next to Noisebridge for DIYbio?

2. Another option is to find out own place -- and get help with
setting up our leadership, management, and culture. Maybe start with
that "how to start a hackerspace" pdf I saw floating around.

I look forward to working with you all, and learning more about the
blood and sweat that you put down, and hopefully sharing trick or two
about biotech with you!

Tito