[Noisebridge-discuss] Another DIYbio thread!

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 03:18:33 UTC 2009

It's good to hear from you.  Although I must confess this email baffles me.
I'm really confused as to what the cross-polination is that you're referring
to.  I think a lot of folks would agree that a great deal of our frustration
with this whole thing is the lack of dialog between the bio folks and the
membership of Noisebridge.  Although space is a very serious issue right
now, that isn't central to the problem, and your assumption that it is only
seems to illustrate how far apart we are on this.

I'm sure you would have understood this if you'd kept up with the
discussions going on in various places.  Yes, we're a wordy bunch (as
evidinced by today's flurry of activity.)  If you're willing to work
together in a coordinated fashion I genuinely believe we can work something
out space- and safety- wise.  In addition to sharing space, we need to share
the administrative overhead that comes with "getting along together" and
work everything out in through the consensus process that's part of our
founding principles.

I'm sure you can understand that the last thing we want is to see our
resources: space, money and energy poured into a black hole that nothing
comes out of.  To date, that's all we've experienced.  We have a number of
"interest groups" such as cyborg/sensebridge, OpenEEG and Machine learning
that all act as subgroups from the main group.  DIY bio is unique in that it
seems to be operating indepenently but colocated in Noisebridge, with
occasional announcements to this list that something's happening.

I see a lot of potential here for shared information as well as shared
resources, but I'm not sure folks with the DIY bio are willing to do what it
would take - come fully under the Noisebridge umbrella - to make us work and
live well together.  If you think that can happen, I think we really can get
something good going.

Christie

I refuse to give up childish things.