[Noisebridge-discuss] gyB_C: temp hacker space party this Sunday May 17

munkeyfreenix batcat munkeyfreenix.batcat at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:51:30 UTC 2009

Here is some info about the event I'm putting on this weekend:

Tired of choosing between that project or that party? Well, now you can do
both!

What: gyB_C: a temp hack space to party for
Where: Godspeed in Oakland: 5532 San Pablo (corner of San Pablo and 56th)
When: this Sunday May 17th.
7pm workshops, info sess and videos
9pm music

gyB_C is a temporary hack space party, where everyone is invited and
encouraged to bring in whatever they are working on, talk about it, get
feedback and maybe even some collaboration, all while having a few drinks at
a truly one-of-a-kind bar with live music and djs. While tech was our
original focus, we see no reason why you can't come and knit that sweater!

Hack space begins @ 7pm, Sunday May 17th.
This will be open forum, with some video screenings, workshop, and all
around open time to share and collaborate.

<[WARNING: while around Godspeed, you can look at the bikes, admire the
bikes, but DO NOT touch the bikes!!]>

When we say temp hack space, we mean just that. Bring your project if its
portable and doesn't need too much power, as that might cause issues.

We will have a gear check, and this is technically a private party. Godspeed
is now closed on Sundays at 7pm, which is when our event starts. The
bartenders are employees and are volunteering so that we can do this--all
free of charge. So either tip your bartenders well, or throw what you can in
the donation bin, as these people are being truly excellent to us.

on stack for sunday:
LIVE COLLABORATION: Web Goat Ethical Hacking Training with Sam Bowne, the
CCSF professor teaching the Ethical Hacking courses
VIDEO: Covert Wireless Monitoring - Learn how to monitor and break into your
home wireless network, and not get caught!
WORKSHOP: Signal Processing and Synthesis with open source tools (details
below)

DJs and Live Music start @ 9.

on_stack to perform:
Rusty Swings for Children
Alacazamm!
Miss Gawker
<?>
Siberian Sex Magik

Workshop info: SIGNAL PROCESSING AND SYNTHESIS WITH OPEN SOURCE TOOLS
with munkeyfreenix.batcat

First installment in an ongoing series. Using Free Open Source Software,
we'll be tearing the hood off your synthesizers and properietary Macrosoft
audio apps and make our own damn synths and knobs. The May session will
focus on Pure Data, written by Miller S. Puckett after he wrote the
proprietary Max/MSP. Unless people want something more advanced, planning on
covering:

1] principles of Open Source Software- why it exists, and why you should
love it, use it, and build upon it.
2] basics of signals in a digital environment: scratching the surface of
Analog-to-Digital-to-Analog conversion, discrete time-invariant linear
systems, data structures and algorithms
3] basics of sound synthesis: using pure data as a graphical programming
language, we'll start making our own synths and explore convolution, ramp
generators, and abstraction using patches

No experience in programming or audio is needed to participate. Just bring a
laptop that can output audio and preferably install pure data beforehand! We
may have some extra laptops, but come prepared.

If you intend on attending, rsvp's would be appreciated. Please write up
briefly why you're interested, what experience (if any) you have with dsp
and synthesis and what you'd like to see done, and email
munkeyfreenix.batcat at gmail.com
We'll gauge the workshop around responses.

Download puredata for free (as in speech and beer):
http://puredata.info/

godspeed you black cats!