[Noisebridge-discuss] Bikes parked at 83c, versus bikes stored at 83c

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon May 18 23:49:41 UTC 2009

83c has bike parking. When we opened the space I fitted a 2x4 with 5
hooks that can just barely fit 5 bikes if they're hung in alternating
directions. Another bike with drop handle bars can be store behind the
front door with its handle bar tucked into the hand rail for the stairs.

That's a total of 6 bikes. At this point when more bikes show up they
tend to get piled onto the 5 hanging, against the shelving under the
windows, or stashed in the shop. All of these bikes are official "in the
way." Especially the ones in front of all the other bikes hanging.

On average on any given week night or weekend, there are at least 3 - 5
folks in the space who arrived on a bicycle. This number works well
since we've got 5 designated spots for bikes already. In the past month
or so I've observed a variation of different bikes more or less being
stored over night (or over a number of nights) at 83c taking up space,
the owners being nowhere in sight.

I and a number of other cyclists would really appreciate it if folks
could please not use 83c for over night bicycle storage if they aren't
actively in the area. A good example of actively in the area would be if
you showed up at 83c, parked your bike, left to grab dinner with some
friends on Valencia, then returned later in the night to either hang our
or work on a project in the space. In addition since there isn't any
sort of security system setup for the front door, and our insurance
doesn't cover personal items, it isn't a wise idea to keep your bike in
the space without actually being there.

Thanks for reading.

--
Rubin Abdi