[Noisebridge-discuss] Discussion Group: Function Programming in Embedded Systems.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:50:44 UTC 2009

  I'd like to put together a discussion group for functional
  programming in embedded systems.

  A good example of projects in this vein is Atom, for Haskell;
  many other presentations present the same basic idea. It's
  something like this:

 .  The system is broken in to little pieces, each of which is
    associated with some C that will be run on the embedded
    system.

 .  In a strongly-typed, functional language, rules for
    composing the little pieces are stated in terms of the type
    system. These rules are subject to formal verification.

 .  If the pieces turn out to make a mess of the rules, pieces
    and rules are rewritten. Rinse and repeat.

 .  A verified system is assembled according to the rules.

  I'd like to talk with people who know something about embedded
  systems to help assess the validity and scope of this
  approach, using Atom. Naturally, as the Haskell teacher, I am
  going to work with everyone to make Haskell transparent. I
  have no insight into embedded systems (no idea how to place
  code on a device, &c.) and will need some help there.

  Please do write in if you are interested so we can work out a
  time to meet.

--
Jason Dusek

  http://leepike.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/an-atomic-fibonacci-server-exploring-the-atom-haskell-dsl/