[Noisebridge-discuss] New Tools in the Shop

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Mon May 25 17:52:42 UTC 2009

Hi Noisebridge,

Those of you who use the shop will notice two new tools in your way: A small
lathe and a CNC mill.  These are the donations of the incomparable David
Stafford and Jonathan, respectively, to whom all praise and gory etc. :)

For the most part, we've been very free-and-loose about who can use the
power tools in the shop; unlike a lot of other shop spaces, we don't do
"certifications" or "checkouts" for most tools, because we don't want to
place that kind of chilling effect on the freeform innovation that
Noisebridge exists to foster; however, these two new tools are both
dangerous and fragile, and so perhaps a little more caution is required than
normal.

The lathe, in particular, will kill you dead if you use it wrong, and "use
it wrong" isn't always obvious.  It's not magic or anything, but some of the
things that can go wrong can go wrong quickly and messily.

The mill is not as dangerous to you -- you might only loose a couple of
fingers -- but it's easy to break, and then you might get killed by enraged
machine tool users.

The point is, before you attempt to use either of these tools, talk to
someone who knows how to use them.  Several regulars in the space are expert
in the use of these tools; Jonathan and David Stafford are good people to
ask, as is John Magolske, our shop teacher.  If you ask me, I'll try to say
"I don't know," in as informative as possible a way.

Anyway, happy hacking, but, you know, be careful out there,

--S

--
Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700