[Noisebridge-discuss] Space Viewing Report: 2101 Mission Street at 17th Street, #204

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Sun May 3 16:10:57 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if it'd be possible to somehow rig indirect lighting with
> fluorescents.  That would eliminate the glare problem and distribute
> the light more evenly.  (Although I suspect I studied lighting with
> someone who was an evangelist for indirect.)

i'm not sure if it counts as 'indirect' to a purist, but i've rigged
things by hanging cardboard under the fixture and painting them
silver. this wouldn't work so well w/ a really low ceiling though (we
had issues of people bashing into them and causing all sorts of fun from
the dropped ceiling tiles).

> I'd like to think we're collectively smart enough to be able
> to wire a 3-way switch and put them where they make sense.

sorry, i was trying to point out that the 'dynamic' nature of things at
noisebridge (at least my feeling of it) makes 'sense' a little
trickier. adding switches (what we did) ended up being a pain when stuff
moved around/people joined.

>>  - are more things like this coming available?
>We've been looking for a bit and haven't seen much else like this.

ok.

> It's 12,000 sq ft, which is obscenely huge.

gotcha. the current ~1000 seemed too small (at least during the eagle
thing w/ the python group going at the same time), but i've never gotten
a feel for how spaces scale and just how much nature abhors a vaccum.

\p
---
Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than
we deserve. --- George Bernard Shaw