[Noisebridge-discuss] Space Viewing Report: 2101 Mission Street at 17th Street, #204

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:45:06 UTC 2009

> maybe paint, but lighting? it doesn't seem much different than the
> current space (someone else commented on being in a dungeon). i know
> some people don't like flourescents (as long as they aren't the kind
> where i can hear them i'm ok :-)

Fluorescents can cause a tremendous amount of glare, which causes eye strain
and fatigue just as fast, if not faster than inadequate lighting.  When they
get too close like you'd have with low ceilings, you wind up with "bare
bulb" effect, where you have zones of inadequate lighting alternating with
glare.

I wonder if it'd be possible to somehow rig indirect lighting with
fluorescents.  That would eliminate the glare problem and distribute the
light more evenly.  (Although I suspect I studied lighting with someone who
was an evangelist for indirect.)

i know the original posting mentioned that the owner was ok w/ mods, but
> the lights are probably on a few banks rather than being independently
> contrlled. having worked in a space where the few switches had multiple
> conflicting labels written on the wall above them; it was somewhat
> painful as people flicked switches to get their area lit.

Clearly, we'd have to redesign the lighting to fit the spaces we break it
into.  I'd like to think we're collectively smart enough to be able to wire
a 3-way switch and put them where they make sense.

 - are more things like this coming available?

We've been looking for a bit and haven't seen much else like this.

 - is teh rent second derivitive (still) falling fast enough?

How fast it's falling is up for debate, I'm sure.  It's just a general sense
that it's coming down.  I know it's not falling fast enough for my taste!

>  - timeframe?

Look around.  We're trying to fit too many people and too much stuff in too
little a space.  There's not even enough room to move about in the space
most days when something is going on.

coming back from the train i think i saw this place (i just poked around
> craigslist so am not sure).
>
> >> http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/off/1150319361.html

Yes, we all saw that space when we were looking around.  It's 12,000 sq ft,
which is obscenely huge.  However, if we talk them down to only $0.50/ft,
well below what most stuff is going for now, it'd still come out to
$6K/month.

Christie

---
Too long a sacrifice