[Noisebridge-discuss] Project proposal:::::

d p chang weasel at meer.net
Wed May 13 01:07:47 UTC 2009

Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 04:02:37PM -0700, Ed Hunsinger wrote:
>> I've been on the hunt for a decent wifi (or even hardwired) photo frame that
>> would display images from RSS feeds.
>
> These are neat devices; I hadn't heard of them before.  What are the
> cheaper pricepoints like for them at the moment?

not sure about now (or what you define as cheap), but the last one i
worked on (more than a year ago) was set to retail for ~150usd (it was a
little crazy since it was only wireless+usb, but could also play
music/movies in an assload of formats). it didn't do rss type stuff, but
you could 'push' some stuff (i've forgetten if all of the formats were
automatable this way) to it via upnp goo (basically, soap which are
commands wrapped in xml goo).

i didn't mention this last night when brad brought it up (after the
muralizer) because you'd be hardpressed to get enough of these (or the
weird dev environment) to do anything useful.

\p
---
A brave man hazards life, but not his conscience. --- Schiller