[Noisebridge-discuss] Best Netbooks?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed May 13 18:26:30 UTC 2009

The Dell Mini 9 runs both Ubuntu and OSX as well, if not better, than
Windows XP.  Intel Video chip still sucks eggs.

Netbooks are about to evolve in several interesting ways.  Might be worth
waiting:

1. For those that favor battery life, some netbooks are going the way of ARM
based CPU's.  This means less compatibility, yes, but it also means awesome
battery life:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/03/02/touch-book-tablet-netbook-with-arm-cpu-10-hour-battery-detachable-screen/
An aside here, the company behind touchbook it working on iPhone and
Nintendo DS Virtual Machines...not emulators...virtual machine...so one
could run iPhone apps and Nintendo DS games nearly native.  It is, also, in
essence, a beagleboard on crack.

2. Others will be going the way of Intel ATOM CPU's with Nvidia ION
motherboard chipsets.  This means more graphic performance in the areas of
video play back and gaming.  That said, the ATOM is not a gaming CPU so does
this matter? I say yes because Itel also makes shitty drivers where as
Nvidia drivers are really solid on every platform.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/nvidia-ion_2.html#sect0
Asus tech bought a bunch of ION chipsets, and hasn't used them in a product
yet.  Speculation is that they will be rolling out an ION based netbook
soon.

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:

> What is the best netbook? Most of the stats on netbooks are fairly standard
> but I want one with as big of a keyboard as possible as I have man hands and
> want it, partially, to take notes in my doctoral program. Any suggestions?
>
> Second tier coolness would be accessibility of components, etc. I plan on
> putting the Ubuntu netbook remix on it unless I hack something to run OS X.

Success is a tasty spirit distilled from bitter failure
--Coreyfro