[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Department of Homeland Security

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Fri May 15 22:37:16 UTC 2009

>From here:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00001028----000-.html

(1) knowingly and without lawful authority produces an identification
document, authentication feature, or a false identification document;
(2) knowingly transfers an identification document, authentication feature,
or a false identification document knowing that such document or feature was
stolen or produced without lawful authority;
 (3) knowingly possesses with intent to use unlawfully or transfer
unlawfully five or more identification documents (other than those issued
lawfully for the use of the possessor), authentication features, or false
identification documents;
 (4) knowingly possesses an identification document (other than one issued
lawfully for the use of the possessor), authentication feature, or a false
identification document, with the intent such document or feature be used to
defraud the United States;
 (5) knowingly produces, transfers, or possesses a document-making implement
or authentication feature with the intent such document-making implement or
authentication feature will be used in the production of a false
identification document or another document-making implement or
authentication feature which will be so used;
 (6) knowingly possesses an identification document or authentication
feature that is or appears to be an identification document or
authentication feature of the United States or a sponsoring entity of an
event designated as a special event of national significance which is stolen
or produced without lawful authority knowing that such document or feature
was stolen or produced without such authority;
 (7) knowingly transfers, possesses, or uses, without lawful authority, a
means of identification of another person with the intent to commit, or to
aid or abet, or in connection with, any unlawful activity that constitutes a
violation of Federal law, or that constitutes a felony under any applicable
State or local law; or
 (8) knowingly traffics in false or actual authentication features for use
in false identification documents, document-making implements, or means of
identification;

There is no such document as a "photographers license". This would not be
posing as one, nor would it by implying false information. I'm pretty sure
that clubs (like the YMCA), schools, businesses, etc which issue
identification (like membership cards and business cards) do not have to get
permission from the government. I can make my own business card on
Vistaprint, does that put me in violation of this law? I can see this being
a big deal for a license which is already issued (like a passport or
driver's license), but I'm not sure it applies here....