[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge "Legal requests"

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon May 18 18:23:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:48:38AM -0700, aestetix aestetix wrote:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/MemoryHole
>
> I'm seeing very careful wording here.

The edit history is also informative.

> "If you would like to request that Noisebridge remove information from our
> servers, we'd ask you to please provide us with such an order. We're strong
> believers in freedom of expression and we generally believe that censorship
> is a slippery slope that we'd rather not engage in."
>
> Has an event occurred behind the scenes prompting such a wiki page to be
> created?

We've received more than one request at various webmaster / list-owner
addresses asking for information to be removed from the list archives.
The first such request was discussed at several membership meetings in
April and here on -discuss and was
mostly-resolved-to-the-not-quite-satisfaction-of-everybody-involved.

Upon receipt of further requests I started to realize that a
case-by-case basis was probably not going to be reasonable.

Then an anonymous editor added MemoryHole to our wiki.

I'm not sure that the policy at MemoryHole is exactly how I feel, but it
seems like a good starting point.  I'm glad to entertain discussion
about this from interested parties.  (Although I hope we won't have to
discuss it at length in the general membership meetings; we don't need
to waste everybody's time with it -- we can split off to a smaller group
for in-depth discussion if that's necessary.)

-andy