[Noisebridge-discuss] Shop Class this week, Friday 8pm

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Wed May 20 07:04:06 UTC 2009

Hi all,

This is a reminder about the Shop class scheduled for this Friday
the 22nd (and Fridays thereafter) at 8pm.

The plan is to cover in 4 ~one-hour sessions over the course of the
next 4 or 5 weeks the basics of how to:

* use fabrication tools: hacksaw, vise, drill press, bench grinder
* use some layout tools (machinist's square, scriber, centerpunch)
* understand and follow safe shop practices
* read a blueprint
* create dimensioned drawings that fully define a mechanical part

The project we'll be using to dive into understanding these areas
will be the making of a Drill Gage -- useful for re-sharpening drill
bits. The idea is that everyone who attends will be able to make one
of these and take it home with them. How long that will take will
probably vary from person to person, but my hope is that everyone
can complete this within the 4-5 week timeframe. I will also be
available at various times throughout the week if anyone ends up
needing additional assistance.

There's also the software reverse engineering workshop scheduled
this Friday evening. Depending on how many people show up for each
class, it might get a bit crowded, but the idea is for the shop class
to happen primarily in the shop itself. I can do some follow-up
and additional teaching time on Sunday if anyone feels the pull of
software reversing at that particular time...

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact