[Noisebridge-discuss] Call for discussion: the noisebridge "equipment lending library"

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Thu May 21 19:44:06 UTC 2009

I think we're getting dangerously close to needing a dedicated shop manager.
I've been noticing a lot of tool walkabout in the fishbowl as well as
upstairs; as well as a few tools used  or stored incorrectly (and please
don't take that as a grumpy complaint. Learning is what we're here for..).
Having someone 'in charge' of keeping materials stores and expendables
stocked would svelte the shops and lendables a lot.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think that got rolled up in the book lending library which Stella and
> someone else was working on.
>
> Christie
>
> ---
> "I want us all to think about new and creative ways to engage young people
> in science and engineering, whether it's science festivals, robotics
> competitions, fairs that encourage young people to create and build and
> invent -- to be makers of things, not just consumers of things."
>
> - President Obama in address to National Academy of Sciences April 27, 2009
>

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:
>
>> A few months ago, Bill Nye (_a_ science guy, not _the_ science guy)
>> was kind enough to offer out his PA system for loan via noisebridge.
>> There was a bit of discussion about this before the DIYbio dust-up,
>> and we wound up removing it from meeting agendas in the name of
>> expediency.  We (err, mostly Jean and myself) then took Bill up on his
>> offer and used the PA for a project in other warehouse spaces.  We're
>> done with it now, and have returned the setup to the space (it's up
>> under the windows).
>>
>> This means that it is once again time to examine the proposal: how
>> about a noisebridge equipment lending library, allowing people to
>> "check out" pieces of equipment to be used outside the space?  What
>> equipment would be a part of it, how would we manage it, etc?
>>
>> I'm not so interested in leading (or even participating in) the
>> discussion, but am fairly certain others here would be.  So, this is
>> me, once again, starting a ball rolling, then trying desperately to
>> get out of its way.
>>
>> Roll on,
>> --
>> Josh Myer   650.248.3796
>>  josh at joshisanerd.com

doing stuff and making things
---
"A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be reverenced as such. His
profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the
history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." -Henry David
Thoreau