[Noisebridge-discuss] New greeting public internet kiosk terminal thing, Ass

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Nov 22 23:05:10 UTC 2009

The G3 that we were using for our little greeting pub internet thing is
old, slow, a little loud and also a power monger. This machine is the
first one you see sitting on the desk in front of our entryway.

Some of us wanted to re-purpose that machine to do some work with the
crazy photo printer that Miloh brought on, and I've been wanting to
replace it with something smaller and a little faster (and a little more
x86) for a while. So that's what I did.

The new machine is a mini-itx board with a small hd. The case was
trashed so it's covered with cardboard for the moment. It's running
Debian Lenny.

I've named the machine Ass, as it's another name for donkey and it was a
pain in the ass testing hardware from the pile of computer crap and
failing at installing Debian through a netboot of the live Debian
desktop we have on the network.

All jukebox functions still work as normal. SSH might not be working
yet, Don't remember if I actually got it setup or not.

Anyhow, enjoy.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net