[Noisebridge-discuss] darpa network challenge

Ian ian at slumbrparty.com
Tue Nov 3 00:52:34 UTC 2009

i wonder how much it would cost to mechanical turk this? :)

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can think of a number of ways this could be solved.  The idea is to
> mobilize people in the "fun game" to report if they see a balloon.
>
> The approach I would see to how one would solve this is to mobilize a large
> national organization.  There are thousands of such hobby, fraternal,
> religious or mutual aid organizations in existence.  The real test is the
> motivation of the individual members to report balloons.

i dont agree with this actually. if what they say is true, about a
balloon being openly visible, if the process of reporting such a
citing is easy enough, the odds are that _someone_ who sees it will
report it. in truth, there is a balance between convenience and reward
and you want to balance those to minimize your cost. i think just
saying its something to do with darpa will be cool enough for people
to report a balloon if the mention to do so is easy enough. the other
thing is though, they have to know about it first.

> I suspect that any organization that was able to mobilize people across the
> country to report, particularly if they're not in major metropolitan
> centers, would be of great interest to DARPA as potential unofficial
> communications networks.

there are probably already these communities out there like twitter,
facebook, and 4chan.

> I think it would be awesome if locations of these started showing up on
> 4chan.  Of course, sorting out what was real and what was just people
> running their mouth would take a different kind of organization.

does it say how many times you can submit the location of the
balloons? do they tell you which ones are wrong and which ones are
correct? that could be a tactic in dealing with false-positives.

thanks,

ian

p.s. one will probably be in alaska... those bitches :)