[Noisebridge-discuss] Multiple monitors attached to a Laptop/Macbook

Michael Zeltner m at niij.org
Wed Nov 18 05:34:59 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Andy H. <andy.hessling at googlemail.com>:
> who has experience with multiple external monitors attached to a laptop/MacBook?

*raises hand*

> My one external monitor does not add sufficient screen real estate to
> my MacBook (not MacBook Pro).

Ah yeah, I've been there.

> http://www.amazon.com/Matrox-T2G-D3D-IF-Triplehead2Go-Dual-Link-Digital/dp/B000RMQZ96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258416219&sr=1-1

Right, I worked with the DualHead2Go version of this for a
performance/installation - see http://earcinema.co.uk/ and
http://niij.org/#project-earcinema

The way that it works is it pretends to be a huge screen and splits
the signal for several monitors - it doesn't actually make OS X
believe that you have 2 instead of 1 monitor. That also means you're
using the graphics card of the MB, and are bound to its limits, namely
the maximum external resolution of 1920x1200. So I'm afraid the
TripleHead2Go won't work with 1024x768 per screen -
http://google.com/search?q=1920*1200-1024*768*3

I have no experience with other pieces of equipment but if there's no
dedicated graphics chip added (does that even work via USB/FireWire? I
still haven't found anything, but if so, please let me know) I still
highly doubt that you'll get more than 2 external screens to work at
an acceptable resolution. As for the DualHead2Go, it works fine, but
due to the crappy graphics chip old MacBooks dive into 24fps land.

Michael
--
http://niij.org/